Why do you need the best heart rate monitor for rowing? Rowing is a great exercise to include in your cardio routine and if you want to be effective, you’ll need an adequate device to monitor your performance.
By checking your heart rate, you can adjust the intensity of your workout and obtain the desired results faster than expected.
So, stop guessing how you did during training and waiting for who knows how to look to get in the desired shape.
With the best heart rate monitor for rowing, you’ll deliver better performances and get fit fast.
- 1 Comparison Table of Best Heart Rate Monitor For Rowing
- 2 Best Heart Rate Monitor For Rowing Reviews
- 2.1 01. POLAR Polar H10 – Best Popular Chest Heart Rate Monitor
- 2.2 02. Garmin HRM-Tri – Best Quality Rowing Heart Rate Monitor
- 2.3 03. Fitbit Inspire 2 Health – Best Monitor/Fitness Tracker
- 2.4 04. Garmin 010-12883-00 HRM-Dual
- 2.5 05. Wahoo TICKR
- 2.6 06. Garmin vivosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker
- 2.7 07. Polar H7
- 2.8 08. Wahoo Fitness TICKR FIT
- 2.9 09. LETSCOM Fitness Tracker HR
- 2.10 10. Mgaolo Fitness Tracker
- 3 Buying Considerations Best Heart Rate Monitor For Rowing
- 4 FAQ,s Best Rowing Heart Rate Monitor
- 5 Conclusion
What is the Best Heart Rate Monitor for Rowing?
There are quite a few brands out there that provide heart monitoring devices for rowing exercises, so picking one can be a real challenge.
When choosing such a device, especially if you are not a professional, bear in mind that a heart rate monitor for rowing is meant to help you improve your fitness and stamina.
Thus, as long as it provides the characteristics you need to train for better health, the product is suitable for you.
In other words, take time to check out products’ specifications, determining which one will help you reach your fitness goal.
Comparison Table of Best Heart Rate Monitor For Rowing
|POLAR Polar H10|
|Fitbit Inspire 2 Health|
|Garmin vivosmart 4|
|Wahoo Fitness TICKR FIT|
Why Polar H10 is the Best brand For Heart Rate Monitoring while Rowing?
Polar H10 is a great device because it provides accurate measurements and is reliable during workout sessions.
Its accuracy is given by the fact that the monitor is worn around the chest, with the help of a strap, instead of being placed on the wrist.
So, if you don’t enjoy wearing devices around the wrist, this heart monitor will be suitable for you.
Also, the device is quite versatile, offering a wide range of exercises to use, through its mobile application. Thus, there are enough reasons to make this your option.
Best Heart Rate Monitor For Rowing Reviews
01. POLAR Polar H10 – Best Popular Chest Heart Rate Monitor
If rowing is a part of your workout routine, but it’s not the only type of exercise you’re performing, it is worth knowing that the Polar H10 heart rate monitor can be used for a variety of training options.
It will be just as accurate if you use the treadmill, if you play tennis, or perform any kind of physical activity.
In case you are skeptical about wearing a strap around the chest, you’ll be surprised to discover just how comfortable this device is.
It will not keep you from working out as desired and it will stay in place throughout the entire workout session.
Meanwhile, with its electrodes, it will transmit information to your mobile device, helping you enjoy accurate monitoring of every minute spent training.
Another great feature is that you can clean it easily, by throwing it in the washing machine. So, maintenance is not an issue with this product.
- Compatible with most smartwatches made for sports and outdoor activities;
- The most accurate reading
- Varied connectivity options;
- Comfortable strap equipped with electrodes;
- Made to block interferences;
- The best heart monitoring product made by Polar;
- Versatile and easy to use;
- The app provides a wide range of features and exercising modes;
- While the app improves the usability of the product, it can be rather hard to use;
02. Garmin HRM-Tri – Best Quality Rowing Heart Rate Monitor
Anyone looking to find a comfortable, versatile, and reliable heart rate monitor should take a look at this product made by Garmin.
It was specially made to suit the needs of triathletes, so it has what it takes to provide all the versatility you need.
It is also the smallest heart monitor ever made by Garmin, so wearing it while on the move will not be an issue.
It is made with rounded edges and no seams that could get uncomfortable as you row, jog, or swim, no matter how long the training session is.
It is capable of storing as much as 20 full hours of accumulated data, which makes it very practical when swimming.
This stored data can be then transferred to a mobile device that is compatible with the device.
Besides the possibility to use a mobile app, Garmin provides a free online community as well, where the gathered data can offer an in-depth picture of your training performances.
- Light and small, extremely comfortable;
- It can be used when swimming as well;
- Performance during jogging sessions can be easily monitored;
- A CR2032 can last for 10 whole months if you use the device 1 hour per day
- The smallest heart monitor provided by Garmin;
- Very comfortable during workout sessions;
- Suitable for watersports as well;
- Replacing the battery can trigger headaches;
03. Fitbit Inspire 2 Health – Best Monitor/Fitness Tracker
Compared to other heart rate monitors, this device was made to be worn around the wrist and utilized as an around-the-clock monitor.
Thus, besides keeping track of your fitness information, it will monitor your heart rate during daily activities as well.
Also, it can keep an eye on your sleep at night, allowing you to see whether the sleep quality is as desired.
However, some users found it difficult to access this type of information. Still, if you need a heart monitor that will keep an eye on you throughout the day, and night, this device from Fitbit may be just what you need.
It will constantly measure your heart rate, even when you’re resting, measure the distance you covered, number of steps, and burned calories during the day.
This way, you’ll know what to adjust to obtain a better body shape and desired health.
- It can track everyday activities as well, not just rowing or jogging sessions;
- It can monitor heart rate around the clock when resting and training;
- Can work up to 10 days without a battery recharge;
- Helps track sleep quality at night;
- Can be used when performing water sports;
- It is a device for all-day activity tracking;
- Provides information about your sleep quality;
- Reliable and waterproof;
- Finding your way around the device’s settings can be a difficult task;
04. Garmin 010-12883-00 HRM-Dual
For those that are passionate about rowing and wish to improve their performances in any way they can, this device from Garmin can deliver.
Both passionate and professional rowers appreciate this device due to its reliability and high level of accuracy.
Although you may not expect much from such a small device, this Garmin heart rate monitor will manage to surprise you with the accuracy of the provided data.
This way, without a doubt, improving physical performances will become a possibility. Of course, this is also due to the fact that the device was made to be worn around the chest, and not on the wrist.
Another great feature is that its strap is comfortable, not being too loose or too tight, which is convenient during intense training sessions.
And, whenever you consider it necessary, you can clean the monitor by washing it in a washing machine.
- The provided data is very accurate;
- Embedded sensors on the strap make the device very comfortable during training;
- Long battery life that can last over 3 years, if the device is used 1 hour per day;
- Soft and adjustable strap;
- Comfortable to wear and easy to clean;
- Versatile connectivity and convenient compatibility;
- Can be cleaned inside a washing machine;
- Can’t be directly connected with Garmin’s app, Garmin Connect, requiring an additional device to bridge the connection;
05. Wahoo TICKR
The heart rate monitor offered by Wahoo is a rather popular choice, due to its accessible price and varied features.
The device offers a good level of quality for the price tag, so it can become an option for those looking for a heart monitor that is not too expensive.
Since it is a versatile device, it can be used for several activities, not just rowing.
You can track monitor running and walk, the cardio performance by measuring heart rate, and physical strength, if you prefer weight training.
To have the device working as desired, simply use the app and select the desired mode.
Its versatility also regards the possibility to use the heart monitor with very many devices and a wide range of apps.
Thus, the user has the freedom to enjoy the desired tracking system of the heart rate and physical performances.
- Can be used in various ways, by selecting the desired activity type from the app;
- The training session can be personalized according to goals and needs;
- Highly compatible with a wide range of devices and fitness apps;
- Records data and transfers it to the preferred training platform automatically;
- Suitable for a various range of activities;
- Great price-value ratio;
- Offers a built-in memory;
- Needs to be cleaned by hand, as it cannot be washed inside a washing machine;
06. Garmin vivosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker
Garmin is, without a doubt, a very popular brand when it comes to fitness gadgets. In case you’re looking for a fitness tracker and heart rate monitor meant to be used daily, Vivosmart 4 may be just what you need.
The design has slim and clear lines, which makes it suitable for use around the clock. Its display will provide information only when you need them, so they won’t be displayed at all times.
It can even adjust its screen light to suit environmental conditions, allowing you to read it even when the sun shines bright.
Overall, it is a great health and wellness monitor, since it can keep track of a series of aspects, not just the heart’s rate.
It can monitor the oxygen saturation in your blood, sleep quality, stress level, energy level, and tracks your progress during workout sessions.
It is a great daily device that can be used to achieve a better health and fitness level.
- The discreet and slim device made for daily use;
- It is safe to be used when swimming or taking a shower;
- Measures oxygen saturation, track stress levels, and heart rate;
- Offers diverse activity times for a broad range of physical activities;
- Can be used for phone calls and messages notifications;
- Stylish design that fits various outfits;
- Can be safely used around the clock;
- Monitors more than just heart rate;
- Some claim that the sleeping and ox monitoring feature is not that accurate;
07. Polar H7
Another popular choice among rowers of all ages and experience levels, the H7 model from Polar has quite a few attributes that propel it to the top of preferences.
With the technology it provides, this tracker will not just provide the possibility to connect it to your device, but also certain models of rowing machines as well.
Your heart rate can be easily monitored by this tracker if you install and run the right app on your mobile device.
However, bear in mind that this tracker is not compatible with some fitness devices, such as Garmin and others that use ANT+ technology.
The Polar H7 tracker is waterproof, so it can be easily used while swimming, without any risks involved.
It is also possible to wash the strap in the washing machine for easy maintenance and cleaning.
But, do take out the sensor before doing so and use a washing program adequate for colors, to prevent premature damaging of the strap.
- Will accurately monitor the heart rate as you train;
- Can be utilized with a variety of training apps;
- The heart rate sensor is waterproof, so sweat won’t be an issue;
- Can also count burned calories during each training session;
- Comfortable and easy to use;
- Can be cleaned with a washing machine;
- It is waterproof;
- Can track a variety of data when in use;
- It will not provide ANT+;
08. Wahoo Fitness TICKR FIT
Preferred by several professional athletes and champions, this heart rate monitor can certainly improve the way you perform during physical activities and training sessions.
Those that don’t like chest straps too much and are not too keen on wearing wrist devices either could use the way this armband is created.
Made to fit an upper part of the arm, right below the elbow, this heart rate monitor is indeed comfortable and safe to use even if you move a lot.
It can be easily paired with a wide range of fitness training apps, so you can get all the benefits of using such a product.
Besides heart rate, it can also show the calories burned during a training session. This way, you’ll always stay on track with the desired performance and progress.
- Will measure heart rate in real-time, providing accurate information;
- Provides ANT+ and Bluetooth technology as well;
- It is compatible not just with smartphones and tablets, but also fitness bike computers and other devices;
- Will successfully work with a wide range of fitness apps;
- Data can be recorded with the help of the device’s app and then downloaded to fitness software;
- Easy to use and comfortable to wear;
- Heart rate training can be personalized;
- Versatile and compatible with a wide range of apps and devices;
- Although it is more comfortable than a chest strap, some users reported inconsistencies in this device;
09. LETSCOM Fitness Tracker HR
This fitness tracker is probably one of the most affordable options on the market. It is not a professional device, but it offers several great features for its price tag.
However, bear in mind that the device is water-resistant and not waterproof. This means it can resist a bit of water, like when you’re washing your hands, but it is not suitable for swimming activities and showers.
Other than this, it offers to monitor the heart’s rate, tracks your daily performance, tracks performance when enjoying all kinds of sports, lets you know when you’re too sedentary, and can even track your sleep.
You can use it to set alarm alerts and alerts issues by your mobile devices, such as calls and messages.
- The device is more an activity tracker rather than just a regular device;
- It can notify you if you’ve been sitting for too long;
- It has the power to track up to 14 different types of sports and activities;
- It offers a mobile app that helps you see accurate data and details;
- USB port for charging and battery life that lasts up to a week;
- It is affordable and versatile;
- Can be used by people of all ages, including children;
- Water-resistant and user-friendly;
- You cannot use it when swimming and showering;
10. Mgaolo Fitness Tracker
Sometimes, there’s no need to spend a lot of money to get a good fitness tracker and heart rate monitor. If the budget is tight, this product has what it takes to answer your needs.
Suitable for fitness enthusiasts of all ages and amateurs of a healthy and active lifestyle, the fitness tracker from Mgaolo provides a wide range of features.
It will not just measure your heart’s rate, but will also keep track of burned calories, covered distance, and training performance.
All you need to do is select the preferred mode for your activity. It can also monitor your sleep, issue alarms when you sit for too long, and even warn you about the incoming period if you’re a woman. For the money you’ll spend on it, this device can be quite surprising.
- Around-the-clock fitness and wellness tracker;
- Provides 11 different modes so you can track your activity;
- Can be used during swimming, diving, or showering, as it is waterproof;
- Quick charging, only 1 hour, for one week of battery life;
- It is supported by a mobile app compatible with Android and iOS devices as well;
- An accessible price tag for a wide range of features;
- It can track your entire activity and day, not just heart rate;
- Provides sleep measuring and physiological reminders;
- Some features may not be that accurate, such as blood pressure, as reported by some users;
Buying Considerations Best Heart Rate Monitor For Rowing
How do you prefer wearing it?
If you already checked the list of products presented earlier, you noticed that there are heart rate monitors that can be strapped around the chest, worn around the wrist, or with armbands.
You just need to decide how you prefer wearing this device. It is worth mentioning that heart rate monitors with a chest strap are the most accurate because the monitoring sensor is applied right next to the heart.
Thus, if you want accurate, real-time data about your heart rate, this option is the best. As long as the device touches the skin, it will measure the heart rate and transmit the information to a selected device.
However, if you feel uncomfortable about wearing something strapped around your chest, although the straps are made to be comfortable, you have other options in hand.
You can select a device made to resemble a wristwatch or one equipped with an armband, made to be worn below the elbow.
Would you like periodic or constant heart rate monitoring?
How often would you like to track your heart rate? If you want to do this only when you’re working out, then a device with a chest strap will do.
If you want constant, around-the-clock monitoring, then you can choose a device that can be worn around the wrist of the hand, like a watch.
Usually, devices with wrist bands offer a wide range of features, such as a calorie counter, distance tracker, blood pressure, tracker, and so on. They are marketed as fitness trackers since they have so many features.
Still, it is worth knowing that some devices of the kind may have trouble monitoring your heart rate if you have tattoos around the wrist.
Devices that use a green light, for instance, won’t manage to do a good job in the event of tattoos.
In this case, you should opt for products that use a yellow light, capable of going beyond your tattoos and measuring heart rate and other aspects without problems.
Are there any features you would like to find in a heart rate monitor?
Perhaps you may be interested to monitor the quality of your sleep, keep track of calories, receive notifications, and so on.
Heart rate monitors for rowing and other activities are not all the same, so it is worth checking the features they provide.
This way, you make sure they will rise to your expectancies and help you stay on track with your performances.
Some of them, besides helping you improve physical performance during workouts, can also track your daily activity, providing a better insight into how your day goes.
Also, if you spend many hours sitting down at a desk, a device that tells you to get up and move around may be useful to avoid back problems and sore muscles.
The easiness of use
If you’ve never used a heart rate monitor before, you may feel intimidates by devices that seem complicated to use.
Some may not work with your preferred application or fitness program, requiring an intermediary device or something compatible with their software.
This is why it is important to find a device that is easy to use while providing the features you need because this is how you’ll get the most of your device.
So, is the data easy to read on the device? Does it provide a backlight capable of making reading easy even when it’s dark outside? Are the buttons easy to find and use?
How about the app? Would you like to use such an app each time you work out? Check every aspect of the device and decide whether it is what you need and if it is sufficiently easy to use.
There’s no point in investing in a device that is too complicated or provides features you don’t need.
How much are you willing to pay for a heart rate monitor?
The price of a heart rate monitor for rowing and other fitness-related activities can range a lot.
You can find devices that cost slightly over $20, but it is also possible to find high-end devices that go in the $200 price range. What drives the price up?
The quality of the product and, of course, the provided features, will weigh a lot in the final price tag.
While it is true that you can find an affordable device that provides a plethora of features, don’t expect them to be made out of resilient and sturdy materials. So, handle them with care.
At the same time, you don’t need to spend a fortune on a heart rate monitor, unless you have a generous budget or wish to achieve high physical performances.
In other words, it is possible to find good quality gadgets, which provide great features, for an acceptable price tag. So, if you want a reliable product without overspending, expect to spend around $50 on a heart rate monitor.
FAQ,s Best Rowing Heart Rate Monitor
Is rowing good for health?
You can find rowing machines in almost any gym out there because rowing is a highly recommended cardio exercise.
It is great for the heart and lungs, as it increases their capacity and effectiveness. It also boosts blood circulation by making blood vessels enlarge and become more flexible.
If you never tried out rowing, you should include it in your workout routine and enjoy great results in no time. With rowing, you can exercise a wide range of muscle groups, obtaining an effective and complete workout in a short period.
Why is it important to have a heart rate monitor?
If you have a hard time keeping track of your effectiveness during workout sessions, a heart rate monitor will let you know how you’re doing at all times.
The higher the heart rate is, the more calories you will burn during physical training. This way, you can keep an eye on high-intensity training periods and check on your evolution throughout the entire workout session.
If you are determined to obtain results, a heart rate monitor will tell you what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong.
For instance, walking on the treadmill for half an hour may feel like a great way to exercise, but once you see your heart rate, you’ll understand that you didn’t do much to improve your fitness.
In other words, if you want to make the most of each exercise you perform, a heart rate monitor will let you see where you stand every minute of the workout.
This can be highly motivating and will make you aware that you need to push a little further to reach the desire goals. Just make sure you learn how to use this device right so you can reap all the benefits it has to offer.
How to choose a proper heart rate monitor for rowing?
Choosing a proper heart rate monitor for rowing and other types of activities and sports is a matter of personal preference.
If you want a highly accurate monitor, go for a chest strap product. If you want a convenient monitor, a product featuring a wrist strap might be a better choice.
A proper heart rate monitor should also provide features that are useful for your preferred way of training.
So, always take your goals and training program, and preferences when looking to buy a heart rate monitor. The way you will use the device should weigh the most in your decision-making process.
Which heart rate monitor provides the most accurate data?
As mentioned earlier, chest strap heart rate monitors are capable of providing the most accurate data during physical exercising or workout sessions.
This is because the sensor works similar to an EKG, providing real-time information about one’s heart rate. Of all the products presented, the Polar H10 was voted as the most accurate.
This is how it is advertised by the manufacturing company as well, which brags with the fact that this is the most accurate heart rate monitor they ever built.
The truth is that it is not too expensive, it is rather versatile and quite comfortable. So, it may be worth taking it into consideration.
What is the best heart rate monitor watch?
When it comes to heart rate monitor watches, there are quite a few to choose from. So, it depends on how much you’re willing to spend and the features you consider most important.
Gadgets from Fitbit may be a good choice, and so can Garmin fitness watches. But, in the end, you need to make sure the product will deliver what you need to improve your fitness performance.
If you love rowing and working out or you’re looking to improve your fitness, physical resilience, and overall health, a heart rate monitor for rowing may help.
While you don’t need such a device to work out, it can certainly help you bring improvements to your performance. It will let you know when it’s time to push and how long does it take for your heart to return to resting mode.
All the data provided by the device will give you a better insight into your fitness condition and what it takes to improve it and enjoy a better body and health.